End Times Occult Manifestations: Slain in the Spirit-Kundalini
SLAIN IN THE SPIRIT-KUNDALINI CONNECTION
Dr. Mike Johnston
Evidence (objective) or Experience (subjective)?
Merchants know that an experience is an extremely compelling component in commercial advertising. The same is true in Christianity. I’ll never forget hearing Dr. George Gardner, previous pastor of Calvary Church in Grand Rapids, Michigan make the following claim: “The man with an argument is always at the mercy of the man with an experience.” Never has this been more true than in the Charismatic/Pentecostal movement with one of its most popular doctrines: “slain in the Spirit.”
What is “Slain In The Spirit”?
Supporters allege that this is the work of the Holy Spirit who suddenly overwhelms often unsuspecting persons with His power and glory. This can be so intense that the recipient- said to be under the anointing- is often cast to the floor where he can lay motionless for extended periods, unable to speak, move, or respond to anyone in this condition; or conversely, he can begin to bob, beller, bark, flinch, flip, flop, or laugh hysterically at nothing and for no reason.
Where is this found in the Scripture?
Regardless of how hard proponents try to twist verses to fit this, what’s happening in Charismatic circles just isn’t Biblical. The fact is, when the Holy Spirit comes into our lives, it is a wonderfully peaceful experience accompanied by new desires to live for Christ and study the Word. As we explore the Word we find many that were filled with the Spirit yet none who acted unseemly including Jesus- the apostles, and the early believers. While at Pentecost the 120 were able to speak in foreign languages not previously known (aka tongues), not one of them fell to the ground reeling, writhing, screeching, or in any way acting absurd. In fact, no one in the entire NT ever did.
What about Saul in the book of Acts; wasn’t he slain in the Spirit?
No. Notwithstanding, if this is to be the mandate or pattern for those seeking the experience, take careful note of all that accompanied Saul’s experience: other people, the voice of Jesus, a bright light, three days of fasting and utter blindness, and the servant of God to lay hands on you to receive your sight (Acts 9:1-18).
If this is not a Scriptural experience, why are ministries growing that feature and promote being slain in the spirit?
First off, I must hasten to mention that growth is not necessarily indicative of God’s blessing (ie, Islam, Mormons, etc). Human beings are just naturally drawn to ministries reputed to perform signs and wonders since they wrongly correlate that with a validation of the presence of God. Interestingly, I have discovered that those who are considered the most “anointed” often have the large, well-staffed ministries, a fleet of fancy cars, ocean-front mansions, personal jets, and of course exorbitant salaries they tout as God’s blessing.  (please read 2 Peter 2:1-3 carefully noting the merchandise makers)
Why are you so concerned with exposing what seems to be a harmless experience?
Because of its occult origin through Kundalini, or the “Shakti force” made popular in the 1940s by occultist William Branham. When a Hindu devotee is touched on the forehead by the Guru (spiritual master), they are generally thrust into convulsions, where they fall to the floor often in ecstatic, uncontrollable utterances and laughter. While they label this power “a force,” we know it to be what it really is: a demonic presence (Mark 9:17-22).
Who is William Branham and how does he fit into slain in the spirit Kundalini-occult connection?
William Branham was a spiritualist “healer” who believed spirits could be “imparted” from one person to another via laying on of hands.  While he is often spoken of by word of faith teachers in glowing terms as if he was a church father,  He was not. He was- if you will forgive my bluntness- a heretical exclusionist clairvoyant kook who was such a rabid anti-Trinitarian he actually labeled it as a “demonic” teaching. God help those who follow him!  Branham was a self sanctioned maverick quoted as saying that everyone involved in a denomination had taken the mark of the beast.  He also regularly practiced occult spiritualism including clairaudience, divination (word of knowledge), and psychic mind reading. He maintained all his life that he was Elijah the prophet reincarnated and those who wouldn’t accept him as such he labeled as anti-Christ. He hated Israel, and he taught the serpent seed doctrine that anti-Semitic scoundrels like Arnold Murray  pound the pulpit with today. Though not exhaustive, his noteworthy heresies include: the divine equality of the pyramids, and zodiac with Scripture; fathering the word-faith positive-confession doctrine we find still taught by his past and present admirers and followers today; the ongoing practice of necromancy (Hinn uses this also via documented spiritual encounters with Kathryn Kuhlman); and a lifetime of instructional meetings with an angel he claimed had given him his healing ministry.  This is the man that popularized the phenomenon known as slain in the spirit that is practiced and coveted by Charismatics and Pentecostals all around the world today.
Final Word: Test the Spirits by the Word of God
My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children (Hosea 4:6).
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world (1 John 4:1).
Charismatics often judge spirituality by the newest outward manifestation even if it is unbiblical or at best extra-Biblical. Needless to say, Scripture is not their friend in such cases. If we adopt their standard of spirituality, then Jesus wasn’t filled with the Spirit. Neither were any of the apostles; only Branham-ized Charismatics are. I hope this helps you see the absurdity of what they teach.
In Galatians 5:22-23 we have the real evidence of being filled with and controlled by the Holy Spirit: But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance . . . (Galatians 5:22-23).
If you hold up a Charismatic manifestation next to the nine-fold fruit just mentioned, the answer to the questions Is this experience from God? should become patently obvious.
THE KUNDALINI CONNECTION
Using the pseudonym “slain in the spirit” the Serpent Power of the Awakening Kundalini is a featured manifestation in Latter Rain Charismatic gatherings by well known men revered to be spirit anointed. Our question here is simple: Which spirit have these men been anointed by?
In Hinduism there are several forms of yoga (yoking) which all have the goal of giving the practitioner cosmic consciousness and unity with God. [The origins of Kundalini Yoga (sometimes called Raja or roya Yoga) come from the form of Hinduism known as Kashmir Shavism. This form of yoga comes from the Kashmir region of India and the god these Hindus worship is Shiva. Shiva was the Hindu god represented in the movie “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.”
Hindu depiction of a Chakra: Wheel of spinning Energy – Kundalini Yoga “the serpent power.”
Sanskrit kund, “to burn”; kunda, “to coil or to spiral”: a concentrated field of intelligent, cosmic invisible energy absolutely vital to life; beginning in the base of the spine as a man or woman begins to evolve in their first incarnation; fed by the chakras along the spine and by the cosmic energy entering through the feet from the earth; as wisdom is earned in each incarnation, this electromagnetic, ultrapotent energy moves slowly upward through the spine; Kundalini is feminine polarity in nature. Sim. (Donning International Encyclopedic Psychic Dictionary, June G. Beltzer, Ph.D., p. 343).
1. Kundalini in English means “the serpent power.” It is the common Hindu belief that within each person resides a “serpent” coiled tightly up at the base of the spine. Through practicing Kundalini yoga, along with chanting, mediation, and an impartation from the guru one can have their Kundalini Awakened. Kundalini Yoga is the “power yoga” of Hinduism. It is the pathway to supernatural power and godhood. Kundalini Yoga can also lead to mental collapse, psychosis, and demon possession or oppression.
2. “Asian cultures have used these teachings of the Chakra System for about 4,000 years and it’s only the last approx. 10 years that this information has filtered into the west. Chakra literally translated from the Hindi means ‘Wheel of spinning Energy’. Within our bodies are contained seven major energy centres. They are located within the body in front of the spinal column and are aligned vertically up and down the spine. Each wheel has a colour of the rainbow and vibrates to a musical note… .” (Inner Star Magazine)
3. Kundalini is at least 1000 years old occult practice. It involves bodily manifestations as a consequence for the “awakening of an individual’s Kundalini” and is related to, for example, Qigong (a Chinese occultic tradition).
4. Kundalini energy is typically described as a powerful energy source lying dormant in the form of a coiled serpent at the base of the human spine. When freed it reputedly has the capacity to effect great physical healings. Christina and Stanislov Grof, New Age authors of the book “The Stormy Search for the Self,” describe how the awakening of Kundalini energy can be triggered by an advanced spiritual teacher or guru. And how the awakening can bring up memories of past psychological traumas. The Grofs state that “individuals involved in this process might find it difficult to control their behavior; during power rushes of Kundalini energy, they often emit various involuntary sounds, and their bodies move in strange and unexpected patterns. Among the most common manifestations … are unmotivated and unnatural laughter or crying, talking tongues … and imitating a variety of animal sounds and movements” (p. 78-79). The Grofs state that “careful study of the manifestations of Kundalini awakening confirm that this process, although sometimes very intense and shattering, is essentially healing” (citing Warren Smith by permission in an article for Spiritual Counterfeits Project entitled “HOLY LAUGHTER or Strong Delusion” (Fall, 1994, Vol. 19.2), p. 14).
Slain in the Spirit Akin to Kundalini
1. Involuntarily falls down unconscious and enters a rapturous state of super-conscious bliss – SAME AS FLORIDA HEALING REVIVAL
2. Beautiful visions and often involving astral projection – SAME AS FLORIDA HEALING REVIVAL
3. Accompanied by uncontrollable laughter or weeping – SAME AS FLORIDA HEALING REVIVAL
4. He could send others into this state with a single touch to the head or chest” – SAME AS FLORIDA HEALING REVIVAL.
Christians that have flocked in their thousands to Toronto, Brownsville and Lakeland, do not seem to realize that the manifestations at these places are not a “New Move of God,” but in fact, as highlighted in the ‘Kundalini Spirit’ article, have existed for hundreds of years.
- For hundreds years gurus have operated with gifts of healing, miracles, gifts of knowledge and intense displays of spiritual consciousness.
- For hundreds of years they have connected with a cosmic power which, though demonic in origin, is very real.
- For hundreds of years devotees have gone forward to receive spiritual experience (Darshan) from a touch by the open palm of the hand, often to the forehead, by the guru in what is known as the Shakti Pat or divine touch.
- For hundreds of years, as a result of the Shakti Pat, these devotees have had a raising of the spiritual experience also called raising Kundalini……
- For hundreds of years the manifestations of an awakened kundalini among people of other religions has been exactly the same as the results of being ‘Slain in The Spirit’ in these so called (Holy Laughter) “Revival” meetings. 
The Leaven of Deception
Some well meaning brethren want to know why we expose these manifestations and practices rather than merely looking the other way. Our answer is from Scripture and becomes evident as you study the progress of the Charismatic Latter Rain movements: 1 Corinthians 5:6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? What began with spiritual sounding exploits has now become overtly occultic. Later Rain Charismatics are now boasting we are gods (request our documentation on this if interested) and as such are equal in every way to Christ. Please read Matt. 24:4-5, 11, 24 carefully regarding deceivers claiming to be equal to Christ (aka the anointed ones).
 For a further discussion of these holy hucksters, please order our tract: Last Days Liars, Hypocrites, and Deceivers.
 Todd Bentley from the Lakeland “revival” gave rebirth to this heresy which caused hundreds of pastors to fall under the power of his errors. Bob Jones who fell to sexual sin imparted to Todd Bentley who later fell under the same sin. Impartation works for evil.
 Some of his greatest admirers include Paul Cain, Paul Crouch, Marilyn Hickey, Earl Paulk, Oral Roberts, the late Kenneth Hagin, Kenneth and Gloria Copeland, Rodney Howard Brown, Benny Hinn etc. More info on all these people free by googling them.
 He taught virtually every denomination was anti-Christ and unless you accepted his teachings you could not be a member of the Body of Christ.
 TD Jakes, and Tommy Tenney both deny the trinity.
 William Branham, Footprints on the Sands of Time: The autobiography of William Branham, Part Two (Jeffersonville, IN: Spoken Word Publications, 1975), pp. 627, 629, 643, 648
 The practice of supernaturally hearing audible voices
 You may write PMI for The Truth About Arnold Murray.
 Prophetic imposter Bob Jones (KCP) and his protégé Todd Bentley have similar experiences with an angel named Emma that sounds like this demon.
 Kundalini info copied-adapted from http://twistedcrownofthorns.com/2010/06/24/has-a-kundalini-spirit-infiltrated-christianity/